Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"A Red, Red Rose" by Robert Burns (pg. 770)

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised I found another poem that was turned into a choir piece.   "A Red, Red Rose" by Robert Burns was one of the feature pieces for my middle school choir.  I hadn't appreciated its beauty and heartfelt words until today.  Whomever Burns intended this poem for must be a very deserving woman.  This piece starts off with two similes that would put Cyrano de Bergerac to shame.  "O my Luve's like a red, red rose, / That's newly sprung in June: / O my Luve's like the melodie / That's sweetly play'd in tune."  I need to remember those words next time I get in trouble with my girlfriend.  Apology flowers will never sound so sweet.

It's astounding how a love poem written over 200 years ago can still so strongly hold true.  Burns uses beautifully written imagery to further his point: "Till a' the seas gang dry my Dear, / And the rocks melt wi' the sun:."  This poem has lasted the test of time through its simple and honest charm.  What stronger words could be said then I will love you until the rocks melt from the sun.

Though I could not find the version of the song we sang in middle school I did find this soft yet stunning piece by Isla St Clair.


1 comment:

  1. I have to agree that it is a very lovely poem and I enjoyed reading it as well. You are right, it would easily sooth any woman's heart.

    ReplyDelete