Thursday, March 17, 2011

"Luck" by Mark Twain

One night in the not so distant past I stormed out of an argument with my girlfriend in which I clearly was in the wrong.  Though I admit this to you now I have not nor will I ever admit my misdeeds to her.   As I peeled out of her driveway she threw my wallet and phone into my open window.  I threw it right back at her and told her to keep them.  The actual words I used I shall not repeat for they were neither nice nor becoming of a Christian man.  As I was speeding through the back roads of Catawba County I found myself coming upon a license check.  Not only was I driving without a copy of my license I also had neglected to complete my yearly inspection.  As I internally mumbled through what I was hoping would form a valid excuse the policeman waved to me a bit too enthusiastically.  Standing there was the brother of my girlfriend.  I quickly told him of my dilemma and begged for a “free pass.”  Before he gave me an answer he asked, “was the fight your fault or hers?” an eyebrow raised waiting for satisfaction.  I lowered my head, ready for my fate, and answered, “mine.”  He laughed and said, “don’t worry, with Michelle all fights are going to be your fault.”  He then gave a polite nod and let me on my way.  I shortly turned my car around and headed back to my girlfriend’s house to witfully charm an apology from her.  With that I wasn’t so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment