Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost (pg 637)

"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost is easily one of my favorite poems.  I first encountered this piece of poetry during 5th grade choir.  It was such a lovely and haunting piece.  At the time I had no idea it was written by one of America's best known and most loved poets.  Later in high school I found the poem in our Literature textbook.  I immediately remembered the piece.  I love when you read this poem you get a feeling of rest and peace.  Frost's words and rhythm directly embody the title of the poem. 

I believe this poem has become an American favorite because it's something most all Americans need; a short time to reflect and allow yourself to wonder at the beauty that always surrounds us.  Frost writes, "My little horse must think it queer / To stop without a farmhouse near."  Frost is trying to tell us sometimes in our life we must pause and reflect.  We must take time, even if it's just for a moment, to appreciate the simplistic yet intricate gift God has given us on this planet.  Frost’s narrator does not linger though.  Frost ends this poem by sending his narrator on his way while reminding us of the long road ahead until death: “These woods are lovely, dark and deep, / But I have promises to keep, / And miles to go before I sleep, / And miles to go before I sleep.” 

Below is a video of a version of the song I sang in elementary school.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the recording...I did not know it was a song. We did a lot of work with this poem in my English class last semester! Great poem

    ReplyDelete