Friday, March 18, 2011

PERSONAL "The Story of an Hour" by Kate Chopin

When I read the ending of this story I found myself laughing.  I truly was not expecting it to end in the misplaced death of her husband while it being replaced on her.  As I reread the story I started thinking about Mr. Mallard.  I wondered if he knew of the train accident.  I wondered if he knew the distaste his own wife had for him.  While we are meant to feel pity for Mrs. Mallard I oddly began to pity Mr. Mallard.  He had returned home to his wife only to find her dead, never truly knowing she had died of the happiness of his own misinformed death.  Did Mr. Mallard cry out for his wife as she cried out for her freedom?  Will he mourn the death of his wife or is he truly the jerk we were lead to believe?  I enjoy a story that makes us ask as many questions as the story answers.  I didn't know of Chopin before this course but will definitely be looking into more of her works.

No comments:

Post a Comment